Reading found at: http://www.librarycompany.org/JaneJohnson/
Questions to Answer:
1. What was the purpose of Jane Johnson’s trip north to Philadelphia?
2. Who was William Still and what was his involvement in this case?
3. What role did Passmore Williamson have in Jane Johnson’s liberation?
4. What were the consequences for the men who helped Jane Johnson and her
5. What legal reasoning did Judge Kane use to imprison Williamson? What other
reasons were used to make this decision?
6. Why did this case become national news?
7. Why didn’t the federal Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 apply to this case?
8. How long did Williamson stay in prison? What was the final outcome of his
9. What role did Jane Johnson play in the cases of Still, Williamson and the antislavery
10. Where did Jane Johnson and her children finally settle?